Monday, November 19, 2007

Fish to die for



What is life without fish! Baskets and baskets of bangdde, mudd'oshe, chonnok and pamplitt et al are devoured by people in Goa every day. These pics are at the Margao SGPDA market.

The noble Fish even has a 'monument' in its honour at Miramar, Panjim. Children at play run through the giant fish. Perhaps adults looking at the wide-open mouth should reflect on the views of Konkani writer and thinker Ravindra Kelekar. He mused that all their life Goans eat fish and that at least when they are dead, their mortal remains should be buried at sea so that the fish could eat them. Not a bad thought.


In his chapter on 'Eating and Drinking' in The Prophet, Khalil Gibran says:

When you kill a beast, say to him in your heart,
“By the same power that slays you, I too am slain; and I too shall be consumed.

For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand."

1 comment:

Peridot said...

Photographs of the fish in the market makes me wish that I could magically be transported to Goa for a lunch where I could have Ambot Tik or Reichad Bangda, or Pomfret curry!!

I live in Michigan, USA and I have searched high and low for some fresh fish.....but all I find is frozen fish. Nobody that I spoke to even knew what a 'Pomfret' was!!!

So.....I live for that once-a-year trip to Goa to have my fill of great tasting, fresh fish!!

The other photos of Margao were great too. Looking at them somehow makes me less homesick.

José Lourenço - Margao,Goa

This blog is about Goa as she really is, with her dimples and freckles et al. There's also a Goan Architecture blog and other useful links on this page.

Drop me a line at: joselourenco1967@gmail.com